Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Brave (2012)

Brave is another film by Pixar. They usually make great films. Usually. You probably know the two films which don't live up to the Pixar name. Cars was an okay movie to say the least but was a disappointment considering the past films. Cars 2 was just bad. Disney Pixar's Brave is the CPR of the Pixar films. And it's... okay. It's just okay. No it's not Citizen Kane but it's not Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's. Just. Okay.

This film is about a girl named Merida(Kelly Macdonald), a Scottish girl who is the daughter of a King and Queen. The Queen, Elinor (Emma Thompson), is a strict mother who is kind of portrayed as a "bad guy." She doesn't let Merida be who she wants to be. The king, Fergus(Billy Connolly), who a goofy dad and is pretty much the opposite of Elinor. The plot is Merida wanting to change her fate because she does not want to be the princess of her kingdom. All of the sudden her family gets a letter saying that 3 first born sons of 3 clans of 3 clan leaders will come so then Merida will can choose who she will marry. As you can imagine, Merida is not very "thrilled" to be married. The fantasy adventure ensues.

Let me start off by saying the animation is amazing. I didn't get the chance to see this in 3-D but hot damn did this film look good. Merida is a character that stood out for me. She seemed very adventurous and daring. I'm not sure why but I am always find that type of character. I also liked the king because he was very cartooney. He has a huge body but small legs. He was also, like I said, goofy and clumsy. This film really surprised me on the plot. It went in a completely different direction then what I was expecting. Instead of a grand epic adventure you get a movie where the main locations are a forest and a castle. It also adds a mythological sub-plot when it really didn't need to. This wouldn't be so bad but they drop half way the movie and bring it back towards the very end. It might sound that I am bashing this movie but I'll put the good stuff next. There was comedy in this film. Quite a lot actually. Kids will laugh out loud at this movie. And uhhhh.....well.....that's it.

Bottom line is that this is a kids film. Kids will love this film. I want to like this film more but oh well. You won't hate it but you won't love it. That's about it, I mean there is not much else to say. This is an okay film but you will forget about it in 1 day. Come on Pixar! Next film bring your A-Game!!!

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment